Press and media
Archived media releases
Holcim and Venezuela signed an agreement regarding Venezuela's compensation for the nationalization of Holcim Venezuela
Holcim presents latest Corporate Sustainable Development Report and announces ambitious CO 2 reduction target for 2015
At a press conference held today, Holcim presents its Corporate Sustainable Development Report 2009. CEO Markus Akermann is pleased to confirm "that Holcim has met its targets on schedule and in the case of the reduction in CO 2 emissions even earlier than planned". All Group companies have played a significant role in this gratifying development. As part of its contribution to the current UN Year of Biodiversity, Holcim is making a major effort to promote biodiversity in the vicinity of its raw material quarries. The close cooperation with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) is pointing the way forward for the entire sector. Holcim's commitment to environmental and social responsibility has also been recognized by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In 2009, Holcim was named one of the most sustainability-conscious companies in the building materials industry for the seventh time in succession.
Holcim confirms searches by antitrust authorities in Spain
The antitrust authorities are conducting an investigation of the cement sector in Spain. They are also searching offices of Holcim Spain and Holcim Trading. Both Group companies fully cooperate with the authorities in the searches.
Holcim substantially expands its Australian business through the acquisition of Cemex Australia. Additionally, Holcim affirms its strategic partnership in China through the participation in the planned private placement of Huaxin Cement.
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION IN OR INTO THE UNITED STATES
Holcim substantially expands its Australian business through the acquisition of Cemex Australia. Additionally, Holcim affirms its strategic partnership in China through the participation in the planned private placement of Huaxin Cement. The funds will be raised by a capital increase with a rights issue.
- Holcim will acquire Cemex Australia, a company with countrywide operations in the aggregates, ready-mix concrete and concrete products business, including its 25 percent interest in Cement Australia, in which Holcim presently has a 50 percent shareholding.
- This important strategic acquisition enables the Group to move into the aggregates and concrete business in an attractive mature market.
- Cemex Australia's most important market positions are located in the continent's densely populated eastern and southeastern states and in the mining belt of Western Australia - all of which are markets amongst the fastest growing regions in Australia.
- The purchase price of AUD 2.02 billion (CHF 1.77 billion) for Cemex Australia and the 25 percent stake in Cement Australia will be financed entirely with equity.
- In addition, the Board of Directors of Holcim has decided, subject to the approval of the necessary Chinese authorities, to fully participate in the planned private placement of Huaxin Cement (China) of up to CNY 4 billion. Based on Holcim's current stake in Huaxin Cement of 39.9 percent, this corresponds to an investment of up to CNY 1.6 billion (approximately CHF 250 million) also planned to be fully financed with equity.
- The Board of Directors will convene an extraordinary general meeting on 8 July 2009, at which the shareholders of Holcim Ltd will be asked to approve a capital increase leading to an inflow of funds in the amount of approximately CHF 2 billion.
Holcim successfully places a GBP 300 million bond
Holcim GB Finance Ltd. issued an 8-year GBP 300 million bond with a coupon of 8.75 percent guaranteed by Holcim Ltd. The proceeds will be used to refinance a GBP 200 million bond maturing in July 2009 and for general corporate purposes.